Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is This A Super Bowl Or Bust Roster?
(08-07-2019, 02:27 AM)cellarrodent Wrote: The team is sporting one of the most talented group of players for a hell of a long time, for sure!  It's putting that talent to work as a unit/team, that's always in question.  In my opinion it's gonna be the improvement of the D, that saves our ass...not the O.  The young D really showed up last year, and I'm hoping they continue to show that in 2019.  They've certainly got a 'great' DC, and Richards on the back end as DC in the making...  Nothings for certain though, and last year is simply...last year.

Given our D continues the trend from 2018...if our O can sustain drives, and do what they're capable of in the 'short game', then we have a chance to win this division and possibly a divisional playoff round, at least.  Still not sold on Dak, Zeke or Coop at the pay scale they seem to think they deserve, but we'll see how that all fairs.  I think it's more important to keep the OL together, as well as the D...  I do think if those units are intact, we can still fair well with the departure of our skill players given price...  Kitna can only help Dak, in terms of veteran experience, and tricks of the trade, but it's really all on Dak to show improvement.  I think he's a talented kid for sure, but certainly not a 30+ million dollar talented kid at this point.

Brady just got a bump to 23 million, which I find very "friendly", and if DC wants to start a winning trend as a team, they'd better start thinking about the team, as a whole, and their longevity because they have a 'solid team around them...  They won't with these types of contracts expected.  I just don't see DC ever getting that though...but we'll see...  Not "at all" a fan of the upper brass, and their ability to assemble and manage another dynasty...  In an FA league, it's about the ability to adjust with departures...  But 2019 is all I'm considering at the moment...
hola, rodent.  as I've become persona non grata on the other site, i'll be coming here more often.  it would be great if it becomes another dc site.  some of the best from the other one are here.  hope more of them start showing up.

(08-07-2019, 12:34 AM)StarHart Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 03:36 PM)cern Wrote: did you just skip over the part where I said kudos to will mcclay as well?  it's there in black and white. Rolleyes

It's the "as well" part that doesn't fit.  You can't say Stephen is making those decisions and then claim to give credit to McClay. 
If Stephen is making them, then McClay is not..... and you deny credit to the coaches and scouts.

Stephen is a front office guy.... his job is to handle contract negotiations and manage the cap.  He's doing his job well, but he's NOT making person
jerry is a front office guy.  yet you've always given him credit for bringing in the talent.  and he certainly didn't handle the cap as well as Stephen has done.  we are most fortunate that the apple fell far from the tree.  very fortunate.

@54doomsday--good to see you here. hope all is well. say hi to qb12 when you talk to him.

(08-07-2019, 06:41 AM)cern Wrote: [quote pid='184' dateline='1565138068']
jerry is a front office guy.  yet you've always given him credit for bringing in the talent.  and he certainly didn't handle the cap as well as Stephen has done.  we are most fortunate that the apple fell far from the tree.  very fortunate.

[/quote]

The credit I have given Jerry for "bringing in talent" has been in bringing in the talent his coaches and scouts want him to bring in.  I've never said a word to suggest that he interferes with coaching or scouting, or that he goes out and finds the talent or makes personnel decisions.  I've been very clear that those decisions are made by consensus among the coaches and scouts, and that Jerry  and Stephen get involved, primarily when there is disagreement among the staff.

It's ridiculous to suggest that either Jerry or Stephen are over-ruling the staff to make those decisions, and you've never seen such a thing come from me, in anything I've said or posted.  Of course they have input, Jerry is the GM, after all, but every coach who has worked for him has praised him for getting them the players and staff they wanted and needed.

While Stephen has done a great job with the cap, and in the way they structure contracts, I don't think he's much different from Jerry.... although he's not nearly the negotiator that Jerry is.... and he probably never will be.  Jerry is one of the best in the business in that regard.  They make a good team.... but I suspect that when Jerry steps aside, Stephen will need the help of a GM, instead of filling that role himself.
Some folks look for facts to support their opinions.... smart folks look for facts to form their opinion.

(08-07-2019, 02:05 PM)StarHart Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 06:41 AM)cern Wrote: [quote pid='184' dateline='1565138068']

The credit I have given Jerry for "bringing in talent" has been in bringing in the talent his coaches and scouts want him to bring in.  I've never said a word to suggest that he interferes with coaching or scouting, or that he goes out and finds the talent or makes personnel decisions.  I've been very clear that those decisions are made by consensus among the coaches and scouts, and that Jerry  and Stephen get involved, primarily when there is disagreement among the staff.

It's ridiculous to suggest that either Jerry or Stephen are over-ruling the staff to make those decisions, and you've never seen such a thing come from me, in anything I've said or posted.  Of course they have input, Jerry is the GM, after all, but every coach who has worked for him has praised him for getting them the players and staff they wanted and needed.

While Stephen has done a great job with the cap, and in the way they structure contracts, I don't think he's much different from Jerry.... although he's not nearly the negotiator that Jerry is.... and he probably never will be.  Jerry is one of the best in the business in that regard.  They make a good team.... but I suspect that when Jerry steps aside, Stephen will need the help of a GM, instead of filling that role himself.
[/quote]
jerry is a brilliant negotiator in all things except player contracts.  Stephen is much better handling that responsibility.  Stephen is also the guy that identifies weaknesses and using the skills and advice of will mcclay, quickly fills those holes.  when I see how rapidly the holes on the o-line, lb's, wr's and an entire change in our d-backs, I find it outstanding.  I also find the changes in coaches have elevated this team.  and as you know, I think is Stephen who is mostly responsible for those changed.

(08-07-2019, 02:12 PM)cern Wrote: jerry is a brilliant negotiator in all things except player contracts.  Stephen is much better handling that responsibility.  Stephen is also the guy that identifies weaknesses and using the skills and advice of will mcclay, quickly fills those holes.  when I see how rapidly the holes on the o-line, lb's, wr's and an entire change in our d-backs, I find it outstanding.  I also find the changes in coaches have elevated this team.  and as you know, I think is Stephen who is mostly responsible for those changed.

No one within the organization, nor anyone with direct access to information would support your opinion.... not to mention that it just makes no sense.  Head Coaches choose their staff, and the assistants that have been brought in since Garrett has been in charge, have been "his guys".  He fired Fat Rob because Monte became available.  He brought in Marinelli because he was a great fit with Kiffiin, and Richard is here because of it.  Linnehan was certainly a Garrett hire.... and so on and so forth..... so I don't know who you think Stephen brought here, but it seems your imaginary love affair with him has lead you to believe things that just aren't true.  The only thing more outlandish is the suggestion that he's scouting and choosing players.
Some folks look for facts to support their opinions.... smart folks look for facts to form their opinion.

(08-07-2019, 08:07 PM)StarHart Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 02:12 PM)cern Wrote: jerry is a brilliant negotiator in all things except player contracts.  Stephen is much better handling that responsibility.  Stephen is also the guy that identifies weaknesses and using the skills and advice of will mcclay, quickly fills those holes.  when I see how rapidly the holes on the o-line, lb's, wr's and an entire change in our d-backs, I find it outstanding.  I also find the changes in coaches have elevated this team.  and as you know, I think is Stephen who is mostly responsible for those changed.

No one within the organization, nor anyone with direct access to information would support your opinion.... not to mention that it just makes no sense.  Head Coaches choose their staff, and the assistants that have been brought in since Garrett has been in charge, have been "his guys".  He fired Fat Rob because Monte became available.  He brought in Marinelli because he was a great fit with Kiffiin, and Richard is here because of it.  Linnehan was certainly a Garrett hire.... and so on and so forth..... so I don't know who you think Stephen brought here, but it seems your imaginary love affair with him has lead you to believe things that just aren't true.  The only thing more outlandish is the suggestion that he's scouting and choosing players.
Broken record.   Heard it all before.  Believe what you want.

Here's part of a nice article I read a couple of years ago, about how the team does things, and the relationship between Stephen and Jerry.... I'll include a link to the article at the end, it's a nice read, even if it is older. It also includes the story of NOT drafting Manziel.

The Cowboys have a unique structure. Although Jerry has the title of general manager, he delegates some traditional GM duties to his scouting department. He participates actively in the college draft process and handles free agent acquisitions, but he does not work daily on football matters.

The same is true of the player personnel director — Stephen, who points out that he and Jerry both played Division I college football, which should make them football guys. But unlike all other general managers, Jerry and Stephen also run the team’s business operations.

“I get it that there are general managers out there that watch tape every day, go on the road to scout and that’s their only job,” Stephen says. “We have people that help us do that. But I think because of our background, because we understand the game, because we love the game, because we’re willing to do the things you have to do — sit in the meetings on Monday and watch the tape and get the analysis of the players on our team — that it works for us.
“We get a consensus as a staff on what our team is about. When it comes time to sign free agents, when it comes time to get a feel for the salary cap, I think we understand that even better than some football guys. On top of that, we understand globally what an organization is all about. If all we did was go scout and do those types of things, then AT&T Stadium doesn’t get built, The Star doesn’t happen, expanding our brand doesn’t happen. So you’ve got to pick and choose and use your time efficiently. I think we understand what we’re doing as an organization.”

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/artic...293774.php

(08-07-2019, 06:37 AM)cern Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 02:27 AM)cellarrodent Wrote: The team is sporting one of the most talented group of players for a hell of a long time, for sure!  It's putting that talent to work as a unit/team, that's always in question.  In my opinion it's gonna be the improvement of the D, that saves our ass...not the O.  The young D really showed up last year, and I'm hoping they continue to show that in 2019.  They've certainly got a 'great' DC, and Richards on the back end as DC in the making...  Nothings for certain though, and last year is simply...last year.

Given our D continues the trend from 2018...if our O can sustain drives, and do what they're capable of in the 'short game', then we have a chance to win this division and possibly a divisional playoff round, at least.  Still not sold on Dak, Zeke or Coop at the pay scale they seem to think they deserve, but we'll see how that all fairs.  I think it's more important to keep the OL together, as well as the D...  I do think if those units are intact, we can still fair well with the departure of our skill players given price...  Kitna can only help Dak, in terms of veteran experience, and tricks of the trade, but it's really all on Dak to show improvement.  I think he's a talented kid for sure, but certainly not a 30+ million dollar talented kid at this point.

Brady just got a bump to 23 million, which I find very "friendly", and if DC wants to start a winning trend as a team, they'd better start thinking about the team, as a whole, and their longevity because they have a 'solid team around them...  They won't with these types of contracts expected.  I just don't see DC ever getting that though...but we'll see...  Not "at all" a fan of the upper brass, and their ability to assemble and manage another dynasty...  In an FA league, it's about the ability to adjust with departures...  But 2019 is all I'm considering at the moment...
hola, rodent.  as I've become persona non grata on the other site, i'll be coming here more often.  it would be great if it becomes another dc site.  some of the best from the other one are here.  hope more of them start showing up.
Hey man...how's it hangin?  Probably just best for all of us to just be "who we are" across the board...  Yeah, so far I've had a couple brief re-introductions with a few of the guys I've not heard from since DC.com days.  That's definitely good stuff!  I've got a 'half dozen' of our work crew headed down to the 9er/DC game this weekend, and have been jabbin at em all week...  Looking forward to comparing our young talent against theirs.  Should be fun...  Never look at the scoreboard in the pre myself...just focusing on the young talent.  I'll wear my Romo Jersey on Friday, just to stir it up a bit round the shop...

Peace, Rodent

(08-08-2019, 12:52 AM)cellarrodent Wrote:

Hey man...how's it hangin?  Probably just best for all of us to just be "who we are" across the board...  Yeah, so far I've had a couple brief re-introductions with a few of the guys I've not heard from since DC.com days.  That's definitely good stuff!  I've got a 'half dozen' of our work crew headed down to the 9er/DC game this weekend, and have been jabbin at em all week...  Looking forward to comparing our young talent against theirs.  Should be fun...  Never look at the scoreboard in the pre myself...just focusing on the young talent.  I'll wear my Romo Jersey on Friday, just to stir it up a bit round the shop...

Peace, Rodent
Saw 54doomsday signed up.  Hope he and qb12 start posting.  Perk, too.  (Young braniac)

(08-08-2019, 01:07 AM)cern Wrote:
(08-08-2019, 12:52 AM)cellarrodent Wrote:

Peace, Rodent
Saw 54doomsday signed up.  Hope he and qb12 start posting.  Perk, too.  (Young braniac)
Yeah man...of course Doc/AT, Whip, Tri, and Nader as well...good stuff!

Oh that's right.... the topic of this thread is our Super Bowl or bust roster!

I was just looking at trying to cut the roster to 53.... and I'm damned glad I don't have to do it. The staff has a tough job... for a bunch of guys on the hot seat!
It's going to be disappointing to part ways with some of those guys, and I think the strength of roster is better than the odds makers seem to think.

I may have to get a bet in soon.... the odds are 25 to 1 right now.... so a $100 bet would bring you $2500 when we win! ;-}