Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garrett Anticipates Elliott To Camp On Time

FRISCO, Texas – If Ezekiel Elliott is considering a holdout at the start of training camp, as outside reports have suggested in recent days, Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett isn’t aware of it.
Asked if he expected Elliott to travel with the team to Oxnard, California on Thursday, Garrett said, “Yeah, we anticipate that. I’ve heard nothing different on that.”
Elliott, the NFL’s leading rusher two of the last three years, has two years remaining on his rookie contract. The Cowboys have stated their desire to sign Elliott to a long-term extension along with Pro Bowl teammates such as quarterback Dak Prescott and wide receiver Amari Cooper, but a timetable for such a deal is uncertain.
Recent national reports have hinted at a possible holdout when camp opens later this week. The Cowboys’ first practice is scheduled for Saturday.
For Garrett, all indications at this point are his All-Pro back will be in camp on time.

“We’re just focused on our team and the guys who are going to be there,” Garrett said at Wednesday’s annual Cowboys Coaches Clinic for youth, middle and high school coaches, presented by Baylor Scott & White. “Zeke’s had a great offseason and certainly excited about what he can do for our football team.”

The plot thickens...as the world turns...  It's a waiting game at this point...isn't it?

I would be SHOCKED if Zeke isn't in camp.... unless it's because he and the team agreed to some other arrangement.
He really has no leverage in a negotiation, and has nothing to gain and plenty to lose, by holding out.
Some folks look for facts to support their opinions.... smart folks look for facts to form their opinion.

I'll patiently wait, but this is really unbelievable at best...  If he doesn't show...I'm done with this cat, send em packin!  Whether it's Zeke or his agent making this call, there is no "I" in team, especially with 2 years left on his deal.  It's not like he's being underpaid, even on his first contract imo...  Let's see how many rushing titles he gets without this OL...

Agree CR he needs to be at camp.

RB by committee...we'll be just fine!

Yep Can’t let any player hold your team hostage: another Belichek principle.

(07-26-2019, 03:10 AM)Doc Wrote: Yep Can’t let any player hold your team hostage: another Belichek principle.
Yeah buddy...but we're still in the "ol school" format! I think JJ's financing Co. is called "JJ's creative financing", where you pay 6 players a "handsome Randsom" and the rest of the team are a bunch of scabs as a result... Great strategy? It's worked for over 20 years...

(07-26-2019, 03:14 AM)cellarrodent Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 03:10 AM)Doc Wrote: Yep Can’t let any player hold your team hostage: another Belichek principle.
Yeah buddy...but we're still in the "ol school" format!  I think JJ's financing Co. is called "JJ's creative financing", where you pay 6 players a "handsome Randsom" and the rest of the team are a bunch of scabs as a result...  Great strategy?  It's worked for over 20 years...

Wouldnt mind seeing some capology advancements from the past. We’ll see.

zeke has plenty of leverage. unless one thinks not having the leading rusher in the league on your team is no big deal. and the fact he caught 77 passes. and that he's a true 3 down back. having said that, it's just business as usual in the nfl. i'm not particularly worried.

(07-26-2019, 06:23 PM)cern Wrote: zeke has plenty  of leverage.  unless one thinks not having the leading rusher in the league on your team is no big deal.  and the fact he caught 77 passes.  and that he's a true 3 down back.    having said that, it's just business as usual in the nfl.  i'm not particularly worried.
I'm not either...I'm just being polite and waving goodbye!

Zeke's "leverage" can get him fines in the 30 - 40 k per day range, and if he's not in camp by the 6th he'll lose a year toward free agency.
Sitting out a year will do him no good at all, and would cost him millions.
I'm shocked.... and disappointed.... that he's not in camp, and I think it's a stupid move on his part.
There is no real need for the team to have him in camp.... they already said they wouldn't put him at risk much, so he's not missing anything important.
That said.... if Stephen can't get the deal done.... let Jerry step in and do it!
Some folks look for facts to support their opinions.... smart folks look for facts to form their opinion.

(07-27-2019, 02:48 AM)StarHart Wrote: Zeke's "leverage" can get him fines in the 30 - 40 k per day range, and if he's not in camp by the 6th he'll lose a year toward free agency.
Sitting out a year will do him no good at all, and would cost him millions.
I'm shocked.... and disappointed.... that he's not in camp, and I think it's a stupid move on his part. 
There is no real need for the team to have him in camp.... they already said they wouldn't put him at risk much, so he's not missing anything important.
That said.... if Stephen can't get the deal done.... let Jerry step in and do it!
I'll second the motion on the "do him no good" and "stupid" part, but really hope he doesn't get a deal after this...  Send the brother packin...  He's pretty good, but mostly because DC has the top OL in the business, imo!  Let's see how good he isn't elsewhere...  Don't throw big money at this cat, as it jeopardizes the rest of the squad...imo!  Same for Dak and Cooper, just not convinced!

Zeke isn't "pretty good".... he's one of, if not the best in the league.... and replacing him isn't likely to be an easy project. I like the backups we have, but none of them came into the league as a top pick, and none of them are Zeke at this point. I have no problem with him getting a deal, and doing this year, might even save money down the road. His value will certainly go up, with a Super Bowl win!

(07-27-2019, 04:22 AM)StarHart Wrote: Zeke isn't "pretty good".... he's one of, if not the best in the league.... and replacing him isn't likely to be an easy project.  I like the backups we have, but none of them came into the league as a top pick, and none of them are Zeke at this point.  I have no problem with him getting a deal, and doing this year, might even save money down the road.  His value will certainly go up, with a Super Bowl win!
That's a valid perspective, for sure.  He's definitely one of best in the league running behind the best OL in the business, which I find somewhat bias in how good he really is?  I think a number of good backs would be 'very good' backs running behind this OL, and cost a lot less.  I prefer the Patriots approach myself, especially in the modern FA cap NFL.  The days of paying a ransom to a single back have come and gone for those that win SB's...imo.  If Zeke commands a reasonable compensation, pay the man, but I doubt that'll be the case?  I put both Dak and Cooper into this post as well...  I'm not 'at all' convinced either are worth what they think they are, and once again...prefer the Patriots approach to managing a team correctly!